Joseph McCann abducted and raped 11 victims after being let out of jail by mistake

Published on 6 December 2019 by BrickTop

Filed under Community, News

Last modified 19 October 2020

Print this page

rate 1 star rate 2 star rate 3 star rate 4 star rate 5 star
Your rating: none, Average: 0 (0 votes)

This article have been viewed 254 times

Sex case Joseph McCann, 34, abducted and raped 11 victims, aged 11 to 71, after being let out of jail by mistake.

A serial sex attacker who raped and kidnapped 11 people including an 11-year-old boy during a two-week cocaine-fuelled reign of terror has today been found guilty.

Sick dirty nonce Joseph McCann, 34, wore wigs, told victims he loved them and claimed they were part of a “gypsy initiation ritual” as he carried out a horrific rape spree across the UK. He had mistakenly been freed automatically half-way through a three-year sentence for burglary and theft in February. The Parole Board had failed to assess whether he was suitable for release – leaving him free to commit his grisly crimes. A probe has now been launched by the Ministry of Justice into why McCann was not recalled to prison after committing a burglary following his release from an indeterminate sentence for aggravated burglary. The same blunder was the reason London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan was free to kill two people in a knife attack last Friday.

McCann abducted victims from the street and threatened some at knifepoint before brutally raping them for hours on end. One 17-year-old girl jumped naked from a first-floor window after fearing she would be trafficked abroad when McCann raped her and her 11-year-old brother. The girl’s mum was tied up with hair straighteners and forced to listen to the muffled screams of her children as the sicko raped them both.

McCann’s gruesome rampage finally came to an end in May this year following a dramatic five-hour stand-off with cops after the fiend fled up a tree. He then told police: “If you had caught me for the first two, the rest of this wouldn’t have happened.” McCann was today found guilty at the Old Bailey of 37 charges including the rape of a child under 13, kidnap, and sexual assault concerning 11 alleged victims. They were all aged between 11 and 71, and the offences occurred across five police force areas over a two-week period between 20 April and 5 May. It took jurors seven-and-a-half minutes to deliver verdicts on all counts after deliberating for just five hours.

McCann’s rape spree began in the early hours of April 21 when he bundled a 21-year-old mum into his car at knifepoint as she walked home from a club in Watford. They then drove to her home where McCann forced her in to her bedroom as her son slept next door and donned a wig as he raped her, saying: “It is normal, it is what they do in the traveller community.” Video footage showed McCann pull into a BP garage in Watford just after 9am on April 21. The young woman was in the passenger seat of his Ford Mondeo at the time.

Three days later, he subjected a 25-year-old woman to a 14-hour horror ordeal after bundling her into a car when she left a station in Walthamstow. He raped the terrified victim repeatedly and told her she would never escape him. McCann then picked up a 21-year-old girl walking in Edgware with her younger sister – while keeping his second victim captive. Her sibling managed to escape but she was dragged into the car and forced to perform sex acts on the second victim and was also raped several times by McCann. She told the court: “He told me he had a knife and he was going to cut my throat and drown me.” The ordeal only ended when the 25-year-old smashed a vodka bottle over McCann’s head when he tried to book them into the Phoenix Lodge hotel in Watford, Herts.

Police then publicly released details of the double kidnap and rape the next day and later issued CCTV. McCann was finally named on April 30 – with cops offering a £20,000 reward for information after linking him to the attack in Watford. But the serial sex attacker continued his chilling journey across the country – preying on the mum and her two children in Haslingden, Lancs, on May 5 after meeting her in a bar. After tying up the mother, he pinned the daughter and 11-year-old down and sexually assaulted them – forcing the teenager to jump from a window and limp and to a relative’s house with a fractured heel. The girl, whose brother has been left so traumatised he is unable to speak, said: “Because it happened to me and my brother it has kind of ruined the family.”

After the horror attack, McCann then made his way to Ramsbottom where he pounced on a 71-year old pensioner who had just finished loading her bags into her Fiat Punto at Morrisons. He attacked her in a nearby industrial estate after telling her “so, we will have sex now” and then picked up a 13-year-old girl as the OAP drove him in her car on the same day. He swigged from a bottle of sparkling wine as he told the girl he was in love with her before abusing her. She said: “When I was in the car he tried to stab me in the leg with a pen. He kept saying that apparently I am going to go out with him, he asked me if I had a boyfriend.”

They managed to escape when McCann pulled into Knutsford services on the M6 but the monster continued unfazed to Congleton, Cheshire, to continue his rampage. McCann snatched two 14-year-old girls and threatened to “chop them up” a machete as he forced them into the Fiat. But as he drove away he was spotted by a police patrol car and sped off with the two terrified girls screaming in the back seat. Dashcam footage showed the fiend driving the wrong way on a roundabout and smashing into a Mercedes as he desperately tried to flee police. After losing officers in a housing estate, McCann then abandoned the car with the two girls inside and was next picked up on CCTV running past a man cleaning a driveway and dashing through his garden. He swapped his T-shirt with clothes drying on a washing line and hopped in a taxi from a restaurant in Stoke.

McCann then climbed up a tree as negotiators along with paramedics were deployed to the scene. He was finally arrested at 2.36am – five hours after he was first spotted cowering among the leaves on a heat sensor. McCann, of Harrow, North West London, refused to appear at his Old Bailey trial and didn’t give evidence. The court was told there was no motivation for his sickening crimes as McCann displayed such “contempt” for his victims he “enjoyed making them suffer”. It can now be reported that four men and two women have been arrested on suspicion of assisting McCann and released under investigation.

McCann had been released from jail in February after being convicted of burglary and theft of a vehicle without the owner’s consent. But the monster had never been convicted of any sexual offences before he carried out his fortnight-long spree of “depravity and violence”. McCann was given an indeterminate sentence for public protection in 2008 when he burgled the home of an 85-year-old man and threatened to stab him. But like London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan, McCann was automatically freed to carry out further crimes. It is understood one Probation Service worker was demoted as a result of a review of four staff who had direct contact with McCann.